Free Library Privileges for Alumni
VCU alumni receive free borrowing privileges for materials (books, DVDs and CDs) in the collection. Alumni cardholders may borrow up to 10 items. The loan period for books is 28 days and is seven days for CDs and DVDs.
As an academic research center, VCU Libraries offers vast online resources. To log on to computers within a library building, an eID (VCU electronic ID) is required. Alumni may request an eID when you sign up for a borrowing card. With an eID, you can access online resources in library buildings using your own device or using one of the public computers. Public computers are equipped with word processing, spreadsheet, email and other productivity software, as well as network access.
On Cabell Library's lower level is a hands-on makerspace. Alumni with library cards are welcome in The Workshop. Current VCU faculty or students are priority users of the production studios and equipment. Alumni cardholders may use computer workstations--which offer video, audio, GIS management software and more--when they are not in demand for academic use. Depending on availability, alumni may also reserve studios and enjoy use of in-house machines including the 3D printers and laser cutters. Only students and faculty may checkout equipment.
Alumni must first register with VCU's alumni portal to get library access. It is a two-step process:
- Register/log in with VCU Alumni: www.vcualumni.org/Login/
- Register for alumni library access: www.vcualumni.org/private/vcu-libraries-access/
Please allow two weeks to receive a borrowing card and for activation of your borrowing privileges.
- Alumni can receive invitations to special events and other benefits by joining the Friends of VCU Libraries at the $100 a year giving level.
- Non-alumni can secure similar borrowing privileges by joining the Friends of VCU Libraries at the $100 a year giving level.
- Questions? Contact email@example.com or (804) 827-1165
- More information about VCU Libraries as a community resource for Central Virginia