- Home /
- About Us /
- Strategic framework, mission and values
Latest service and space updates: VCU Libraries COVID-19 response
Strategic Framework, Mission, Values
Mission and vision
The VCU Libraries transforms our communities by enriching scholarship, learning, creative endeavors, and clinical care through inclusive and equitable teaching, collections, and leadership.
Strategic framework 2020:
Creating the 21st century research library at VCU
A great university is built upon a great library. The VCU Libraries' strategic framework focuses on the essential elements of the 21st century research library at VCU and charts a path forward to creating one of North America's most vibrant academic research libraries. It aligns and incorporates elements of VCU Quest 2025: Together We Transform. VCU's libraries continue to accelerate the university's success with teaching, collections, and leadership that demonstrate the power of libraries to transform and advance the communities they serve in the 21st century.
As VCU Libraries employees, we place the VCU community and all it stands for at the forefront of everything we do. We affirm that a great university is built upon a great library, and we commit ourselves to
- engage our communities and evolve to meet their needs
- promote, inspire, and support intellectual curiosity and lifelong discovery
- embrace diversity and inclusion to foster excellence
- seek new technologies and methods for our communities to convey their discoveries to the world
- protect unrestricted access to scholarly research, creative expression, and ideas representing all points of view
- foster the open exchange of ideas and celebrate the richness of an environment shaped by many voices
- embrace creativity, agility, and energy in all our work
- value all staff as contributors to the success of the organization
- adhere to the highest ethical standards, cultivate transparency, and safeguard privacy
- be accountable to each other and to our communities.