More hours, more equipment, more service opens VCU Libraries' academic year on both campuses
August 14, 2014
Tompkins-McCaw Library for the Health Sciences will expand its hours this fall and James Branch Cabell Library will continue full operations in the midst of the construction of the new library on the Monroe Park Campus.
The health sciences library will be open until midnight five nights a week beginning Sept. 2. This enhancement in hours is funded in part by the newly enacted student library fee of $25 per semester.
Also new, a webcam that captures progress on the new building. Find all construction news and updates on the home page.
- At Cabell, patrons will find books and other materials in new places due to necessary changes to make way for construction. More
- Scholars Compass, VCU’s new digital press is up and running and accepting submission of research materials, papers, data and much more.
- An updated version of VCU Libraries Search offers a leaner, more modern design that makes search results clearer and easier to read. The new design also supports tablets and hand-held devices.
- To assist all in the community, VCU Libraries now offers free electronic delivery of articles and chapters from its collections as well as free campus delivery of hard-copy materials. Details.
- Earphones will no longer be loaned. Instead, free earbuds will be given to students who need them.
- Free earplugs at the Information Services desk, Cabell
- More bikes for loan through service desks on both campuses
- Self-service checkout station, fourth floor, Cabell
- Office supply vending machine, coming soon, first floor, Cabell
- Additional self-service laptop kiosks coming soon, first floor, Cabell
- Charger stations for your personal devices, Tompkins-McCaw, first and second floors
- Six consoles representing different gaming systems will soon be made available for student use, group viewing room, third floor, Cabell
- 3D printer on the Third Floor, , Cabell
- Additional cameras for checkout, Third Floor, , Cabell
- Materials in the test prep and study skills collection are now available for checkout for three-day loan periods, first floor, Cabell. Previously, use was confined to the library.