VCU Libraries sets January 7-8 dissertation and thesis writing retreat
November 30, 2018
VCU libraries invites ABD students, doctoral candidates and masters thesis writers to a winter writing retreat Jan. 7 and 8 at James Branch Cabell Library’s Lecture Hall (room 303). The writing retreat is organized in partnership with the VCU Graduate School, the Writing Center and The Well.
Spacious writing spaces--with big tables and power strips--will be available 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. daily. Bring laptops, notes and materials. All program sessions are optional. During scheduled programming times, participants can either attend the session or continue writing.
Time between program sessions is dedicated writing time, when all participants are encouraged to focus solely on their writing.
Coffee, tea, and light snacks will be served all day both days. Bring your own lunch. or, leave for lunch and leave your materials on your table. VCU Writing Center coaches will be available for one-on-one consultations. Librarians will be available for one-on-one consultations about the research process. Register online so we can set up the room and order enough beverages and snacks. Walk-ins are welcome, too!
Monday Jan. 7
- 9-10 a.m. Setting Writing Goals
- 10:30-11:30 a.m. Advanced Word Tips for Formatting Dissertations
- 1-2 p.m. Writing Tips and Writing for Your Audience
- 2-3 p.m. Stress and Time Management
- 4-5 p.m. Citation Management with Mendeley
Tuesday Jan. 8
- 9-10 a.m. Writing Tips and Writing for Your Audience
- 1 p.m.-noon Overcoming Impostor Syndrome
- 3-4 p.m. Citation Management with Zotero