VCU student support departments reprise wellness-focused outreach in StudyWell campaignJanuary 26, 2022
As the pandemic continues a team of VCU faculty and staff are again standing ready to support students in their return to campus life with opportunities offered under the StudyWell banner.
“Our library buildings are hubs of academic work. They are also social centers where people meet, work on joint projects, gather for coffee and conversation,” says Laura W. Gariepy, Ph.D., the associate dean of the libraries who oversees Cabell Library’s service points, spaces and teaching.
“With our partners in the Division of Student Affairs and the Division for Student Success, we’re creating messaging and events to support students not only academically, but more holistically, too. We’re excited to focus on mental, emotional, social, financial and physical health — all prerequisites to successful learning. We felt this was especially important at a time when so many students are under stress due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
StudyWell brings together VCU Libraries, the Division of Student Affairs and Strategic Enrollment Management and Student Success. Together these units see student success broadly and inclusive of these elements:
- Managing time
- Reducing stress
- Maintaining good health
- Eating well
- Sleeping regular hours
- Relaxing and focusing
- Exercising and being active
- Studying and researching effectively
- Staying in touch with family and friends
- Keeping track of finances
A slate of StudyWell events and experiences will be held in library buildings on the MCV and Monroe Park campuses and in the Health and Wellness Library located in the hospital.
Upcoming events and experiences can be found at go.vcu.edu/studywell Sessions include:
- Peer Health Educator sessions on relationship health, alcohol, eating well, sleeping well and mental health considerations;
- YouFirst Study Hours for first-generation college students
- Science Hub Hours staffed by STEM faculty;
- Wellness Breaks in the Health Sciences Library and Cabell
- Health Sciences Library, First Floor and Cabell Lobby
- Interactive white board sessions
- Coloring pages, jigsaw puzzles, and Legos to help with de-stress and stimulate creativity.