In January of 2012, the Girl Scouts of the Commonwealth of Virginia (GSCV) began a year-long celebration of its 100th anniversary. The national Girl Scouts organization was founded in 1912 by Juliette Gordon Low, and the first Virginia troop was started just the following year in Highland Springs. The GSCV was chartered in 1963 with the merging of the councils of Richmond, Fredericksburg and Southside Virginia. Today, the GSCV serves more than 21,000 individuals, including both girls and adults.
James Branch Cabell Library is home of the archives of the GSCV and, as a part of the 100th-anniversary celebration, presents an exhibit of materials from the archives. The archives include everything from photographs and promotional literature to vintage Girl Scouts uniforms.
The exhibit is free and open to all during normal library hours. Parking is available for a fee in the West Broad Street, West Main Street and West Cary Street parking decks. If special accommodations are needed, please call the VCU Libraries Events Office at (804) 828-0593.
Image: Troop 4 near the old Capitol side entrance, ca. 1920, Girl Scouts of the Commonwealth of Virginia Records, Special Collections and Archives, VCU Libraries