VCU Libraries lifts fines on most overdue books effective July 15July 15, 2016
VCU Libraries no longer charges overdue fines on books from its "general collection." This change and increases in fines for other items goes into effect July 15.
Patrons holding long-overdue books, including those so late to have been recorded as lost are encouraged to return those books to the libraries. Processing fees will apply but they are much lower than replacement book charges.
Books in the general collection are noted as such in the library search records. These are on shelves in library buildings or in offsite storage. Items affected include items oversized books, musical scores, young adult and juvenile literature and books in the Art Browsery.
Fine-free items do not include:
- Books on course reserve
- English Language Program books
- Study skills books
- Government documents
- Journals or bound journals
- VCU Common Book
- Cabell First Novelist books
- DVDs, CDs or other audio/visual materials
- Board games or video games
- Interlibrary loan books
- Reference books
- Items from Special Collections and Archives.
* * *
Overdue fines on highly-used equipment and materials have been increased and grace periods adjusted. The reason for these changes on these often expensive items is not to be punitive but to encourage patrons to return these items promptly so that others can have access to them.
- Course reserve materials (books and DVDs): Overdue fines will be $10 per hour (or portion of an hour). Maximum fine is $100.
- Calculators and iPads: Overdue fines will be $10 per hour (or portion of an hour). Maximum fine for calculators is $30 and for iPads is $100.
- There will be a 30-minute “grace period” for these items. If a patron returns an item up to 30 minutes past the exact time it was due, there will be no fines. If the patron returns the item 31 minutes past the due time, they will be charged $10 as the late fee for that hour.
Items checked out from The Workshop on the Lower Level at Cabell Library also carry a new standard fine system.
- Overdue fines on all equipment loaned for three days will be $10 per day.
- Equipment is due at the time The Workshop closes on the due date.
- There is no grace period for overdue equipment from The Workshop.