- Spring Anticipating more significant budget reductions for FY 2024, the Libraries begins planning for a $200,000 cut to the collections budget, focusing on unbundling the Springer journals package.
- Fall The Libraries learns that unavoidable cost increases would not be funded. In addition, the Libraries received a 4% budget reduction, setting the stage for the possibility of future cuts to the collections.
- August New website about journal collections launched
- August VCU Libraries Collections librarians prepare report on possible cancellations
- Fall semester List of possible cancellations announced and published for comments
- Throughout fall semester, liaison librarians meet with faculty in schools they work with to brief them on “Big Deal” negotiations
- Fall semester VCU Libraries hosts series of open ‘town hall” style meetings scheduled to discuss journal collection with faculty
- Dean of Libraries discusses Big Deal negotiations with Dean’s Council and Associate Provosts
- October VCU Libraries successfully concludes negotiations with Elsevier for a new contract effective Jan. 1, 2022 through Dec. 31, 2024
- Restoration of university funds, combined with reductions in costs from some publishers, eliminated the need for additional cancellations in FY 2022.
VCU Libraries communications on journal sustainability
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- May 2020
- November 2019
- September 2019
- April 2019