Rare Books and Periodicals
Special Collections and Archives holds approximately 70,000 rare books and periodicals focused on a variety of subject areas. The collections also include items that are considered valuable, unusual or fragile. Due to their condition and rarity, these materials benefit from a light, temperature and humidity controlled environment. They are stored in closed-stacks areas to ensure that the materials are available for our patrons to use for many years to come.
Collection Strengths at James Branch Cabell
- Library Architecture and decorative arts of the late 19th and early 20th century
- Artists' books and photobooks of the late 20th century to the present
- Comic books, comics history, and graphic novels
- Richmond authors, imprints, and serial publications Richmond history the mid-19th century to the present
Collection Strengths at the Health Sciences Library
- 19th century American medical imprints
- Physiatry and otorhinolaryngology
- Confederate Medical imprints
To learn more about our rare books and periodicals, you can schedule a consultation or instruction session.